Provided by the Santa Ynez Valley Historical Museum:
The Union Hotel, Los Alamos. The original Union Hotel in Los Alamos was constructed in 1880 as a stagecoach stop for the Coast Stageline. When the Pacific Coast Railway arrived in 1882 it began serving customers riding the rails as well. It also served as the local telegraph station, a showroom and way-station for traveling drummers (known today as "salesmen"), and the Wells Fargo office.
Like many wooden structures of its time, it burned down in 1883 most likely due to a knocked over oil lantern. A replacement hotel was built on this site in 1915. The new hotel had a stucco facade, which was less likely to burn down.
In the 1970's this stucco faced building was clad with aged wood siding and architectural details in an attempt to make it look more like the original building. The 1915 version of the hotel with its retro rustic wood facing is still standing and in use today.