The man who was fatally shot about 2:15 a.m. Tuesday at the Chumash Casino Resort had previously been banned from the property, scuffled with casino security investigators and used an investigator’s own stun gun against him.
Those details were among additional information about the shooting of Jose Guido, 37, of Santa Barbara, that were released Friday afternoon by the Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office.
Although the investigation into the incident is still underway, Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigations Division investigators determined Guido was known to the casino’s security personnel because he had been permanently banned from the property in November 2017, sheriff’s spokeswoman Kelly Hoover said.
Guido was trespassing on casino property when he was contacted by Chumash security investigators in the parking structure, Hoover said.
When he was told to leave the premises, a scuffle ensued, and during the struggle Guido allegedly got ahold of an investigator’s stun gun and used it against him.
The investigator subsequently shot Guido three times, causing fatal injuries.
An autopsy conducted Feb. 21 confirmed Guido died as a result of gunshot wounds, but an official cause and manner of death is pending toxicology and lab results, Hoover said.
Once the Sheriff’s Office investigation is complete, the case will be forwarded to the Santa Barbara County District Attorney’s Office for review, she said.